Alternative Music Week in Review: 10/10/2016 – 10/17/2016
What’s up alternative music fans! Looking for some fresh new tunes? The Week In Review is your source for new single, album, and video releases. This week we got the new one from Avenged Sevenfold. Rumors have been swirling about a breakup but those rumors are just that…rumors. The band released an epic first single that is reminiscent of their progressive sound from the beloved City of Evil album. In my humble opinion, all subsequent releases haven’t measured up. Have you heard of the 30 Songs in 30 Days project? Read about it here and then enjoy Franz Ferdinand’s contribution below. Korn fans are stoked for yet another glimpse inside the new album which seems to be a ‘return to form’ if ‘form’ refers to their older material, namely debut album Korn and followup Life Is Peachy. Be sure to check out the up and coming new band SWMRS. They just dropped their debut album Drive North and there are a few really good songs on there. The single “Palm Trees” is a featured single release below. And lastly, our boys Jimmy Eat World are throwing out singles left and right, the newest being “You Are Free”.
New Single Releases
Here are 5 featured single releases this week. Find more new music in the Spotify player below.
- Amid breakup rumors, Avenged Sevenfold releases first glimpse of upcoming new record with “The Stage”
- Franz Ferdinand contributes to the 30 Songs in 30 Days project with “Demagogue”
- Korn releases 4th single “Take Me” off upcoming 12th album The Serenity of Suffering
- Up and coming punkers SWMRS drop infectious “Palm Trees”
- Jimmy Eat World releases “You Are Free”, yet another song from upcoming new album
Song of the Week
There was strong competition this week but I have to give the Song of the Week nod to the new Avenged Sevenfold track “The Stage”, with the awesome video helping quite a bit. The track is officially the first single off the band’s upcoming new album Voltaic Oceans, their 7th studio album. It will be the first album to feature new drummer Brooks Wackerman.
Who is the crowd that peers through the cage,
As we perform here upon the stage?
Tell me a lie in a beautiful way
I believe in answers just not today
New Album Releases
Here are 3 featured album releases this week. Find more new music in the Spotify player below.
- Kings of Leon’s new album WALLS dropped this week. Meh. When they released “Waste A Moment” as the first single, I thought maybe they were going to get back to a sound like Aha Shake Heartbreak but nope. I feel like I wasted a lot of moments really trying to like the new album that really isn’t that good at all. Negative Nancy over here.
- If you like psychedlic music, be sure to give the new Jagwar Ma album Every Now & Then a listen.
- And I mentioned them earlier in the post, SWMRS released their debut album Drive North sure to appease punk rock/surf punk fans.
New Music Videos
I keep an eye on all the music videos being released on Youtube. Lately I’ve noticed bands releasing new singles/videos on Youtube even before Spotify or iTunes. If its a great video and/or a highly anticipated song, it will be added to the playlist below. Subscribe, my friend!
New Live Videos
Raise your hand if you love watching bands perform their new singles on late night shows or other similar platforms. OK, if you raised your hand be sure to follow this feature week to week. Most late night shows only post live performances to their own websites. For those, I will post text links below. Awesome live performances posted to Youtube will be included in the playlist below. Please subscribe.
- Kings of Leon take hit single “Waste A Moment” to Jimmy Fallon
- Critically acclaimed European artist Christine and The Queens also performed on Fallon this week
- Yet another performance on Fallon: James Bay “Hold Back The River”
Best Song In The World
Sting holds on to the Best Song in the World this week. The song knocked off “Trouble” by Cage the Elephant a few weeks ago. Check out the full post here.